Prevent motorcycle accidents by being aware of bikers. With warmer weather, more bikers will be out on the roads. Stay safe with these motorcycle accident prevention tips.
Tips to Prevent Motorcycle Accidents
Here are some tips to prevent motorcycle accidents:
- Look and listen before making a turn. Almost half of all motorcycle accidents involving a vehicle are caused by the vehicle making a left turn in front of the biker.
- Check your blind spot periodically. It helps to know who is driving around you. This is especially true with motorcyclists since they are smaller. Always check your blind spot especially before changing lanes.
- Leave some extra space in front of you. A good rule of thumb is to leave 4-second space between you and the motorcycle. This will give you enough time to react should an emergency arise.
- Be courteous in bad weather. Motorcycle act differently in bad weather. Leave more space for the biker to be able to navigate properly.
Typical Causes & Factors of Motorcycle Accidents
Another way to prevent motorcycle accidents is being educated on what some basic causes of motorcycle accidents are. The National Traffic Safety Administration funded a study in 2006 to determine causes of motorcycle accidents. Here are some of its findings:
- The most likely place for a motorcycle accident to occur is in an intersection.
- 98% of motorcycle accidents are not due to weather hazards.
- About three-fourths of motorcycle accidents involve a collision with another vehicle, usually a car.
- 92% of motorcycle riders involved in motorcycle accidents learn from friends, family or are self-taught.
- Most motorcycle accidents happen within the first few minutes of a trip.
- The main cause of motorcycle accidents are due to other drivers in vehicles not noticing the motorcyclist.
If you’ve been injured, contact personal injury attorney Mat Parke
Mat Parke is a trusted and aggressive Harvard law grad who represents injury clients in Boise, ID, Nampa, ID, Meridian, ID, and Caldwell, ID. Mat has experience representing clients in motorcycle accidents, car crash cases, semi-truck accidents, wrongful death cases, dog bite injuries, and other personal injury cases.
You Pay Nothing Until We Win Your Case